The rematch was no classic, but Dawson won out with his methodical approach to taking on the willy old veteran and controlled the majority of the fight to take it 117-111 on two scorecards, while the final card crazily had it 114-114.
Two men guaranteed to be tuning in to this evening’s blockbuster WBC world light-heavyweight clash between Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson are Frank Warren Promotion’s brace of world class 175-pounders, WBO king Nathan Cleverly and British champ Tony Bellew.
And with B-Hop having refused to participate in a face off at their previous media events it was the first time the fighters went eyeball to eyeball since their controversial meeting in October last year.
The 47-year-old future Hall of Famer told a media roundtable that he was the ‘last of a dying breed’ as he prepared to face a man 18-years his junior in a contest many are not giving him a chance in.
Chad Dawson says Bernard Hopkins didn’t want to be in the ring with him in the first fight and is using that as a confidence booster as he prepares to challenge the veteran once again for his WBC light-heavyweight strap.
Cleverly’s promoter Frank Warren and Schaefer, who promotes Hopkins, met in London last week to announce a big output deal for TV subscription channel BoxNation.
WBC light-heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins and challenger Chad Dawson came face to face at yet another press conference yesterday, but this time to announce their April 28 rematch in Atlantic City.
Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, and Gary Shaw, who promotes Dawson, came to terms as they faced a Friday afternoon deadline for a WBC-ordered purse bid in the mandatory fight.
Hopkins and Dawson were ordered to fight a rematch after their first clash ended controversially when B-hop picked up a shoulder injury from being thrown to the canvas by ‘Bad’ Chad.