McCloskey to face ‘Chop Chop’ Corley on May 5
Paul McCloskey will face DeMarcus Corley on May 5 at the King’s Hall in Belfast live on Sky Sports – and the winner could land a shot at the WBC light-welterweight crown.
The former WBO light-welterweight world champion ranked 15 by the WBC replaces Julio Diaz as Dudey’s opponent after the Mexican raised concerns about making the 140-pound weight limit.
The 37-year-old took Floyd Mayweather the distance in 2004 and faced Miguel Cotto the following year for his old title. Corley travelled to England to face Junior Witter for the WBC belt in 2006 and went the distance with Marcos Maidana for the WBA belt in 2010.
Corley proved he still has plenty to offer as he claimed the NABF light welterweight title against previously unbeaten New Yorker Gabriel Bracero in the Big Apple in January.
And Coley’s promoter Lou DiBella has predicted a possible route to a shot at the WBC belt through another of his fighters, New York-based Londoner Ajose Olusegun, who is hoping to face current champion Danny Garcia.
‘Chop Chop is a former world champion and is coming off a great comeback win against an undefeated fighter,’ said Di Bella. ‘He is eager to take a shot at McCloskey.
‘If McCloskey were to defeat DeMarcus though, and after Ajose Olusegun wins the title from Danny Garcia, an Olusegun-McCloskey match-up would certainly be very attractive for all fight fans, particularly those in the UK and Ireland.’
McCloskey closes the curtain on Belfast’s biggest boxing bill against Corley following the all-Irish Betfair Prizefighter Middleweights and six-round outings for Martin Lindsay and Prizefighter Prospect Jamie Conlan.
‘I’ve always said that I would go through anyone to win a world title and that includes both Ajose and Danny Garcia,’ said McCloskey. ‘Corley has been in with the very best in the business and is on a high after beating Bracero so it’s a good test for me.’